Video Mystery Shops

I was cruising through my local craigslist, seeing what was happening, when I came across an ad for a "Video Mystery Shopper." The job would have one entering a place of business with a tiny concealed camera and secretly videotaping an employee using customer service techniques. The employee's superiors would then use that videotape to show the employee how to improve their job performance.

While I'm sure this is hardly a new occurrence, it freaks me out a little. Who would go out of their way to conceal a camera on themselves to secretly record a conversation, knowing full well it will go towards a tedious review? No matter what employers have you sign when you get hired, that kind of practice just freaks me out a little. 

I'm sure later I'll look at this post and be like, "man, I just didn't get it then," but, for right now, that seems really tricky and devious. 

1 comment:

  1. I was secretly video taped on my job in Florida by a mystery shopper, but my employer has never had me sign a written consent, is that legal? Please help me out with this!

    ReplyDelete