Creating subscription walls for all news sites

With all due respect to a potential future employer, I'm not completely in agreeing with business legend Rupert Murdoch. He recently said that he believes that news sites will eventually have pay walls, to the point where you don't even get some content for free, you get no content for free. Newspaper executives have, of course, been the only ones really concerned about squeezing out more money on the internet beyond ads. (They've long been getting money from ads and subscriptions, and making some large amounts of money off of it.) I'm sorry, but if all newspaper web sites go behind a pay wall, I'll just find a web site without a pay wall. And they will exist. And if they sell ads, and get a large audience, guess what? They'll get some good money.

If I have to pay to go to a newspaper web site, I'll go to a web-only news web site, or a TV station's news site. Most of those places have original reporting and some wire services feeds. Or, if push comes to shove, I'll get news from a radio news site. But man, those sites suck. Please, newspaper executives, don't hide behind pay walls: I'd rather get news from web sites that are at least halfway attractive to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment