The Bachelor's Degree

I was recently looking around Grand Valley State University's website for more information on their journalism program, and I came across a note where they offered both a B.A. degree and a B.S. degree. Still working on my general requirments (for a broader liberal arts understanding of life, and stuff), I haven't looked too in-depth as to what a B.A. and a B.S. meant.

Well, here's what it means for the journalism degree: You either take a certian math or statistics class and get the B.S. , or you take a foreign language class and get a B.A. degree. That's it. That little annotation - which will be with you for the rest of your life - is determined by one class. Doesn't that seem kind of, well, cheap and easy? It's just one class to determine whether it's a B.A. or a B.S. written on your resume. I don't get it.

One a slightly different note, GVSU's journalism program allows you to take a few classes specializing in either print and writing or in web production and editing. Which, I think, it pretty cool to have that kind of option. Which branch will I choose? I'll probably decide that in a couple of years, after I'm done at GRCC and have transfered over through the wonderful MACRAO agreement. (Which, one I'm done with that special MACRAO program, all those classes count towards obtaining a Associate in Arts degree. Sweet!)

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. I think I should stick with the B.A. if I were you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. take both classes and have FOUR letters behind your name!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. technically, it's more than 1 class. it's a few. i'm in the com department, i know. :-)

    and I'm getting the B.A.

    ReplyDelete